Wednesday, November 17, 2010

We Are What We Eat


Factory farming. Mechanized food processing. Growth hormones.

These are all terms that most, if not all of us have heard before- and most of us still choose to consume meat, well aware of these moral issues with the way we produce it. It is all too easy to put our morals on hold and brush any humane concerns under the rug in order to obtain low food prices. This isn’t a situation that will likely solve itself based off human emotion and principles, but nevertheless there are consequences to our health that are direct results of the ways we get our food.



I’m no vegetarian, but I do think people should be aware not only of the consequences to society as a result of consuming meat, but also the health consequences we inflict upon ourselves.

5 comments:

  1. Love love love this, I'm so excited to hear your arguments!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sophie, let me know if you'll be doing your speech on this or genetically altered food. Both are good but my question with this topic is whether your credibility would supper because you eat meat and aren't practicing what you'll be preaching necesssarily

    ReplyDelete
  3. Can't wait to hear your speech, Sophie! A lot of my friends have given up beef in recent months and have been trying to convince me to go along - I love my steaks, but maybe finding out a little more about the topic will change my mind.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Andi, I'm not touching on genetically altered food at all. I do eat meat, but generally only 1-2 times a week and when I buy meat or animal-based products I buy healthy/organic/local. My speech would circle primarily around cutting back on our consumption of meat, choosing the right kinds of meat, and the health consequences conventionally raised and processed meat has on our health. Does that sound acceptable?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sophie, sorry about that! I though I saw your name under the blurb about genetically altered foods.

    This is a great topic, just make sure you establish your credibility well enough given the fact that you are not a vegetarian and are not necessarily practicing what you preach. I think it will be very interesting to see you develop logical arguments and emotional/psychological appeals that are strong enough to make up for the fact that you are not a vegetarian or vegan yourself.

    Looking forward to it.

    ReplyDelete