
It is commendable to want every child to get a good education and become successful. And standardized tests set a precedent for what is expected out of a well-educated child.
But the system is flawed. The tests do not challenge students, they just give teachers the material they need to teach. Students learn what they need to learn to pass the tests, and if they still do not pass, the states make the tests easier. When the students take more challenging courses, they struggle. And when the students try to get in to college, they are at a disadvantage. The teachers rush to teach the students so they can pass the state assessments, and do not give the students enough attention to prepare them for higher education.
This needs to change. Not all students in a state can be judged by the same tests. Students need to be addressed on their individual needs if they are expected to earn college degrees and work in high-skill jobs the U.S. needs to boost its economy.
You should really check out www.waitingforsuperman.com and www.donewaiting.org. I'm going on an alternative break this winter to Gaston, North Carolina to help teachers and students in an under-funded, under-developed school system and these sites have really given me a greater understanding of the system we are working to change
ReplyDeleteEchoing Rachel's comments.
ReplyDeleteThis is a great topic and one that is frequently debated by public educators. To make your speech relevant and so that it is not just a repetition of the points often brought up in this debate, make sure you don't only tell us that this system needs to change... I think most of us would agree with that... but tell us more about what WE can do from where we are standing. Rachel's trip is a beautiful example of something very specific that can help solve the problem. You guys should talk!
Rachael, thanks so much for that information, I will check those sites out. And what you're doing is great, if you don't mind I might ask you at some point about how to get involved with similar programs.
ReplyDeleteAs someone who one day hopes to teach in a public school, I think this is a very important topic and look forward to hearing your views on the matter!
ReplyDeleteAwesome topic - I think education is one of the topics that should be at the forefront of the political agenda, but is unfortunately not. I agree that the system is largely flawed and am excited to hear what you think needs to be done!
ReplyDelete