
When Lisa Rowan came to speak to our class on Friday, she left us with some valuable advice about communication. She reiterated the basics that you learn in every class- to be loud, clear and concise. What was interesting, however, was that she told us to be unique, as well as make sure our message matches up on every medium, and to always take notes.
Be unique: The example Rowan used for this was an article that took an unconventional and humorous viewpoint for a certain event. This article was rejected by the newspaper on campus, but when the author tipped off the website Rowan works for, TBD, they put the article on the front page of their site, because it was fresh and creative.
Matching up messages: Rowan also advised us to be consistent with how we present ourselves in every medium. While pictures from a party on a social network site like Facebook may seem completely fine, these may reflect poorly on you and take attention away from accomplishments on a resume when applying for a job.
Always take notes: Rowan showed us a notebook that she always carries around with her at work to take notes or make reminders, etc. I thought this was a good idea, because you never know when information will come in handy, and noting things about your surroundings can help you learn more about your environment.
On another note, I had not heard of TBD.com until Lisa Rowan came to speak to our class, but it is such an interesting idea! I have been on the website once or twice since Friday, and it is so fascinating. I love the use of local blogs on the site, because you really get a feel for what is going on locally. I think blogs are an interesting type of media, and I like there integration on the site. I will be looking at TBD more often in the future.
For an archive of Lisa Rowan's articles on TBD.com
Emily, great inclusion of *specific* examples of things Lisa mentioned during her presentation to elaborate on your reflection.
ReplyDeleteMake sure you don't forget to use an appropriate label for your post and for future posts, please embed your hyperlink within your post rather than including it at the bottom so that we can navigate in and out of your blog post.
I thought it was interesting too when she said to be consistent with each medium in which you present yourself. Before, I had only heard about the different aspects of each medium (one specific for work, another for friends, another for family), but it was cool that she stressed for us to be the same person-- you can be more formal or casual and still be the same person.
ReplyDeleteI carry a small notebook too and I find it really helpful for notes and lists- things you won't think of again and need to remember. TBD.com is also something that I personally found very useful- as an out-of-state student, I often find myself clueless as to local MD and DC issues. The site really informs me about issues prevalent in this region.
ReplyDelete