Monday, September 20, 2010

Guest Speaker Series: Lisa Rowan

TBD.com editor Lisa Rowan recently Speke with our class about good public speaking and journalism skills. She broke it down into three Cs: Confidence, Credibility, and Conciseness.

Have confidence in the information being put forth; your message is only has strong as the person presenting it. Our credibility is everything, especially in an age of multiple voices, many not very legitimate. Be sure that the information being put forth is something wr can feel confident standing next to as truth. Because of this age of fast information, it's even mpre important now to recognize conciseness and brevity within our speeches.

Lisa left us with one extra tip, and that is to ALWAYS take notes. Be it interview notes, doodles, musings, whatever; those are all future story ideas and/or talking points! :]'

4 comments:

  1. I especially like how this blog post was effective and brief. When I see posts broken up into smaller segments with bolded words, I'm really drawn in and I want to read it. It's something I wish I were better at

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's what we are here for -- to find our own styles based on what we see works and appeals to us :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Personally, I believe that another C word can be added for an effective speech: clarity. While many speeches are well researched, the way that the speaker presents their information can be confusing and incomprehensible to laypeople.

    ReplyDelete
  4. No offense Geoffrey but I think that clarity would fall under the conciseness category. To be concise is to be understandable and clear while still keeping all the extra and unnecessary information to a minimum or out all together.

    ReplyDelete