Looking back, I’d have to say that my Comm 107 experience was a good one. I learned a multitude of skills that are applicable not just in my desired profession of Journalism, but life in general.
I wasn’t expecting to learn too much when I first signed up for this class. I wasn’t even sure what was going to happen. How do you define communication? What can I possibly learn? What I didn’t realize were all the applications we have for communication in our everyday life.
I felt that the speeches and group project provided me knowledge that I can use going forward. No matter what job field you go into, you will either have to give a speech, presentation or something of the like. Working in groups is almost always something that you will do in some capacity. Learning these skills and taking this class really helped me. I was always nervous to give speeches and presentations but this class gave me experience about not only the presentation itself, but also the process and work that goes into a good project.
At times, it seemed that some of the stuff we are learning was review of concepts I had heard in high school. I guess there was really nothing to be done about this, sense the material was in the curriculum, Andi couldn’t just skip it. But personally, I would occasionally zone out on days where I wasn’t learning anything new.
I thought Andi’s use of social media to help teach the class was great. One of the major themes of the class is that communication is happening all the time. Andi used the social mediums that we are all on almost 24-7 to further learning as well as keep us informed. I found it neat since I’ve never had a teacher who did something like that.
Another thing I thoroughly enjoyed about this class was the guest speakers. They all had something interesting and different to say. I thought it was a great move because they proved the importance of what we were learning. A lot of times, teachers just teach you without showing that it’s practical in the real world in any way. The guest speakers showed us how they apply the concepts that we’re learning, in their field.
I wasn’t sure what to make of the class blog. On the one hand, I thought it was a nice change of pace from Blackboard. It was a fun place to share information, and post assignments for class. It was really easy to access materials from there. However, I found that there were times during the semester were I forgot to check the class blog, and thus, almost missed important information. This became less of an issue once are facebook group was created.
So all in all, I’d have to say that I thoroughly enjoyed the class. I learned skills that I can use in the future and learned the real life applications of these skills from professionals. I enjoyed the use of social mediums in the class, even if at times, the blog annoyed me a little. The ability to be creative, and pick topics that we wanted to for assignments was another huge plus. All I can really say is that I would have enjoyed this class even more if it weren’t at 8 a.m. I didn’t miss a class though, so I would say that must mean I enjoyed it.
Good post, Jace. And good job not missing a class. You and me against the world, brother. Even though we couldn't take a SONA together because we're failures, I hope we hang out in the future. Our group for the group project is literally all good people. Anyway, good post. I agree with pretty much everything. The guest speakers in this class were cool, whereas the guest speakers in JOUR100 were the most repetitive thing... ever.
ReplyDeleteI totally agree with you about the blog. It was good and bad, but the Facebook group really helped clear things up!
ReplyDeleteI was never invited to the facebook group so I cannot agree that it was helpful, but I do agree with you on the blog. It was helpful in gathering all necessary things for the class: slides, projects, and postings all into one place, but there would be days that I wouldn't check it and have something major posted or the such so I guess it would have been helpful to join the facebook group, but when I searched for it I came up with about twenty groups and none having enough people to be our class. Oh well, technology is a quandary, but I guess it was useful sometimes.
ReplyDelete