Saturday, December 11, 2010

The End



Well, it has definitely been an interesting first semester in college. I came in not knowing what to expect from any of my classes, especially Comm107, besides that it was a requirement for all business majors. I am now leaving pleasantly surprised and quite a bit more knowledgeable about not just communications, but about a variety of subjects. One of the things I enjoyed the most in this class was the wide variety of topics that were presented; either through guest speakers, our informative and persuasive speeches, or the way the class naturally digressed. Whether it is Mike’s criticism of Mike’s Hard Lemonade, or Jace’s dislike for Alexander Semin, despite how talented he is, this class always found a way to keep things interested. Similarly, from the different guest speakers that Andi invited to speak to us, I learned more about business dress, online social networking, and even collaboration in society. In that way, this class was definitely better than my boring business statistics or accounting classes.

On another aspect, I am not sure that I was the biggest fan of the blog, but it definitely offered a different perspective to the regular weekly journals or essays. The thing that I disliked the most about the blog was the organization of it. Often times, after a few people have posted on the blog, it became difficult to keep track of the posted assignment and who was posting what. Sometimes, just trying to search through the blog itself to find a specific blog post by Andi became its own adventure. That being said, there were definitely things about the blog that made it fun to navigate through. For the most part, people kept it really unique with the pictures that were posted. Some of them were instant attention grabbers, and I read a lot of blog posts just based on the fact that I liked the picture that was posted with it.

Aside from the different topics covered in this class, I was also quite happy with the different types of technology utilized in this class. While I already knew about making presentations on Prezi, the class introduced me to LinkedIn, TED, and tbd. I also really liked how the Facebook group was somewhat like a forum, where we could voice our questions and concerns. Most of the time, my classmates had the same questions I had and I often just had to read the comments on the Facebook group to find the answers I needed.

Personally, I feel like I took a lot from this class, and I am happy I took this class as a first semester freshman. In fact, the types of leadership that we studied and did a blog post assignment for also surfaced in another one of my classes. The types of leadership power have been an integral part of two essays for my Entreprenurial and Innovation Program class. It was really then when I realized why business majors were required to take this class; the materials it covered was an important part of business. Overall, I am glad with the things I learned in this class because it will definitely help me down the road when I am pursuing a business career.

3 comments:

  1. That album cover has never looked more epic than it does on this blog post.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the album picture, despite the other comment. Nice Post! It has been a great year.

    ReplyDelete