Sunday, November 28, 2010

Midterm Corrections

One question I also answered incorrectly was number 11. I believed that two people exchanging information about where they were born and grew up was part of the initiation phase, but in reality it was part of the experimentation phase.

The reason I answered this question incorrectly is that I thought this exchange of information was biographical, which is part of the initiation phase. However, upon review, this was wrong. Biographical information, part of the initiation phase, only covers introductory details- one's name, and who they are. When you delve further, the process becomes part of the experimentation phase. In the experimentation phase, these two people learn more about one another, asking questions that would be uncomfortable in the initiation phase. Obviously, life histories aren't really fodder for small talk to strangers.


(Also not really fodder for the initiation phase.)

The first example that came to mind for a real-life experimentation phase would be a first or second date between two people who are already somewhat well acquainted, but are still 'getting to know' each other. What better, more glaringly obvious example of this than a quality television reality show...I apologize in advance, and hope your future first or second dates never goes like this one.

No comments:

Post a Comment