In a world where violence is desensitized by the media, the role that violent video games play is escalating alarmingly. While firearm filled games such as Call of Duty or Grand Theft Auto promote crime and violence, these games sell extremely well. In addition, although they are rated M for Mature, many underage children are able to obtain possession of these video games. However, the main issue remains whether playing these games have an effect on the children. Personally, I do not think that violence in video games is a gateway into violence in real life. Most children have the discipline to realize that what occurs in a video game is fantasy and should not be confused with reality. And even if violent criminals admit to playing violent video games, the areas that should come under fire are his education and parenting. Overall, while violent video games are realistic, they have minimal effect on youth.
http://www.dailytech.com/Study+No+Real+Link+Between+Violent+Video+Games+and+Aggressive+Behavior/article9710.htm
As someone who grew up hiding my violent games from my mom and convincing my father to buy them for me I can say wholeheartedly that violent video games have had little to no effect on me. I think the only way to judge if they've had an effect is to ask those who have actually been raised on them.
ReplyDeleteAlways a good topic for debate. The same thing goes with violent media in general. Some children will always be more impressionable than others so I have arguments for both sides of this equation. interested in what you have to say.
ReplyDeleteAs someone who has a younger brother who is obsessed with video games, I am looking forward to your take on this topic!
ReplyDelete