Thursday, October 7, 2010

Our Generation and Skype

I remember talking in class about how important factors of communication, such as inflection and non-verbal cues, are often lost in this generation due to our reliance on text messaging and instant-messaging on social networking sites like Twitter and Facebook.

However, I found this article http://www.economist.com/node/17209514?story_id=17209514&fsrc=rss, which states that face-to-face internet chatting is becoming more trendy with applications like Skype.

Even though this type of communication is more personal than text-based forms, I anticipate that it won't be as effective as communicating in person. I wonder what habits our generation will develop as we become more dependent on video chatting?

4 comments:

  1. I feel like video chat is the next best technology we have besides face-to-face communication. It`s one of the most appealing features of the new iphone 4.
    I went to Korea over the summer and rather than always making long-distance phone calls, I used Skype which was free and I got to see friends and family through webcam.

    Andi if you`re reading this...good luck and recover soon! =]

    ReplyDelete
  2. I definitely think that video-chatting, Skype, FaceTime, and their ilk are changing the way we communicate. As I planned to address in my little class speech (btw, Andi, what happened to those mini-speeches we were initially going to give impromptu?), I think these services are repersonalizing a very depersonalized form of communication.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Personally, I love skype. It's better than Facebook chat!! Skype makes everything much more personal. Since my sister and I go to different colleges, we skype all the time to keep up. It bring back the face-to-face aspect of communication, and I can hear her tone and her sarcasm. We can also tell if we don't really have to time/don't really want to talk because we can see the non-verbal communication, too!

    There is a problem with online chatting that Skype doesn't really attend to-- the bad grammar and short hand (lol, brb, etc). A lot of people still use facebook chat and even skype chat with all of the online lingo. We still write with terrible grammar and spelling, and I really think it is affecting our generation's writing skills on the whole.

    P.S. ANDI, good luck tomorrow!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi all, I have been using Skype and online video not only to communicate with friends and family, but more and more to do business over the web and conduct interviews for my research.

    For a great example of just how much our world is embracing online video... in "The World is Flat," Friedman gives an example of how you no longer have to be in the same place in order to meet or hold a conference. In Friedman's example, the people meeting with their colleagues in different places around the world walked into a conference room with a table and a white wall upon which, three different projectors were projecting video from the conference rooms in the other global offices. So... once everyone sat down, it looked like it was just one giant conference room and the distance between the co-workers was not an obstacle anymore.

    Online communications are *already* changing industries and how efficiently we get work done in groups.

    Thanks all for the good wishes! I'm still recovering from surgery, taking my pain medicine, and trying to catch up all at the same time. Great work on the blog this weekend!

    ReplyDelete