Wednesday, September 29, 2010

Revised syllabus and... should I publish the gradebook on the blog?

Congratulations! You completed your first assignment of the semester! You all did some good work on your informative briefs and though we are moving on, I hope you will not push the experience out of your memory just yet (or at all)... you have group presentations as well as persuasive speeches coming up and you'll need to continue building on your public speaking skills -- improve on your weaknesses and play up your strengths -- in order to do very well.

As I explained in class today, we will be going over Chapter 6: Interpersonal Communication, during our next class. The revised syllabus is now republished under the "syllabus" tab on the blog.

Also I mentioned in class, I want to know how you all feel about having the gradebook published on the blog. The only way to identify yourselves would be through the last five digits of your student ID numbers. This is so that you can have a better idea of what the class' grades are looking like and to make the whole grading process a little more transparent.

Please submit your vote on the poll below by Saturday, October 2nd. If you don't vote, your opinion won't be taken into consideration. If you want to open this up for debate, feel free to comment below! Thank you!

Should I publish the class gradebook on the blog? (With last five number of student IDs ONLY)


14 comments:

  1. I would love the grades to be posted in some way, just for the simple reason that I find it easier to know how well I actually understand the material in the class when it is attached to a number.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with Tom in that I want to have the grades posted, but for the reason that I want to know my grade right away. I know professors get annoyed when kids always come up to them at the end of every class to act if they have grades ready yet. This way we know where to look first.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm all for posting grades online too. It's quicker than giving out the grades in class and saves class time. Students can look at their grades on their own time.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I don't mind having the grades posted on the blog. We are using student IDs instead of actual names, so privacy isn't a problem either.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Agreed, I'm really impatient when it comes to finding out my grades, so I'm all for whatever method is quickest/most efficient. And even though I won't know who those people are, it's still helpful for me to have an idea of where I stand in the class.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I don't mind either; I also agree that it's nice to be able to gauge yourself in comparison to the rest of the class without singling out or embarassing anyone.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I agree with all of the above users. I like the idea of having a quick and easy way to access my grades. It's also nice to see how your doing compared to everyone else.

    ReplyDelete
  8. SYLLABUS QUESTION: In class, you told me to read Chapter 6 for tomorrow, Friday's class. On the revised syllabus, it says to read Chapter 10, Participating in Groups. Chapter 6, Interpersonal Communication, definitely makes more sense in the context of where we are in the class right now. But I was just wondering, since I've already Chapter 6 and I kinda don't want to rush into Chapter 10 overnight...

    ReplyDelete
  9. I think it's a fine idea to post the grades on the blog. It was apparent by the quality of the presentations that all of us put a lot of time and effort into this project.

    ReplyDelete
  10. One of my favorite things about the way professors give grades is when they provide a mean and median. It's more informative than just receiving individual grades because it gives you a sense of where you stand in relation to others.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I don't see anything wrong with posting the grades online and like the comment above says, it gives us a better understanding of where we fit in the class gradewise.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I agree with Rachel that knowing the statistics of the grading will help us gauge where we are in the class. By posting the last 5 you keep privacy but you also provide helpful information. Online posting FTW!

    ReplyDelete
  13. So, when are the grades going to be posted?

    ReplyDelete