Communication Topic: How do you balance creativity with procedure in the workplace in bringing forth your ideas to the brass?
Every one who doesn't work for themselves finds themselves in an situation at least once in their lives where they are caught in a predicament that has two solutions, use their problem-solving skills to find a creative and effective way to fix the situation or add interest to the company, or use protocol and go with the book in ironing out problems or putting your organization out there. Both have pros and cons; for example, with new ideas one can find more effective ways to do things and be recognized by their superiors in a good light, but it could also fail miserably or even make matters worse and cause one to be looked at in a bad way. If one were to do things the way that they are told to be done it will more than likely be done without any hitches but will never get you noticed or help show your usefulness to the company/organization. The key issue here is how to present your ideas to your superiors. If it is a good idea to do so, when and in what way would it be acceptable to present your idea to improve upon the company to the higher ups. This will be our focus as we research our communication topic.
Resources:
The pictures didn't look like this in the original editing page and no matter what I do I can't get it back so that I can delete them and redo it. I can get to the editing page fine but when I try to take out the picture and relocate it, it does not work.
ReplyDeleteNo worries Colm.
ReplyDeleteThe topic is great! I think the class is going to find it very useful because soon (if they haven't already) everyone is going to be doing internships and some people in the class will even be walking into their first jobs -- so knowing how to put your ideas forth and not let yourself be intimidated by the workplace is a great topic to review now, sooner rather than later.