Tuesday, October 12, 2010

Communication and International Business


Communication is one of the keystones to success to business in the modern world. International business is an increasingly significant component of business and the challenges that come with are mostly communication issues. The most obvious challenge to proper communication is the language barrier that exists between nations. Even with translation services and the predominance of English as the language of commerce, misunderstandings due to regional differences in semantics and syntax continue to exist. Due to the lack of proximity, communication is hindered and the inherent difficulties of communicating through technology are another challenge to communication in international business. Communication is a constant challenge for international business, yet overcoming these trials is a key to success in the modern world.

Sources:

http://www.cba.uni.edu/buscomm/internationalbuscomm/crosscultural.html

http://tesl-ej.org/ej41/r8.pdf

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZbcU89KyLo8&feature=related

2 comments:

  1. I think this is a good topic choice. Business is very much global now, and what happens over seas could have a big impact on our economy. Communication is of vast importance in this regard. I can't wait to see what your group comes up with!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Can I ask you guys to narrow this down a little bit? I saw language barrier as a communication issue in international business and I saw the use of technology as a communication issues in international business. I think that going with the second might give you some very interesting things -- particularly after reading "The World is Flat" -- but the either way, pick one or the other and keep your focus. Good luck and have fun!

    ReplyDelete