Wednesday, December 15, 2010

Andi at Eight

All I know about this assignment is that it is supposed to follow the rubric for blog posts. But even at this point, I don't know the standard word length of a blog post. I remember it being 100 words? Or maybe 500?

This is minor due to the informality of the blog, but it's indicative of how we were sometimes left in the dark as students. We didn't always know what was to be expected of us; ironically because in a COMM class isn't the communication supposed to be especially clear? I don't mean to debase the value of the class, but honestly, a lack of communication is the major flaw I've found. I was left uncertain about my grades, rubrics for certain assignments, and what content we had to know for the class. If I could make two suggestions they'd be to 1) make the expectations really clear and timely and 2) to more directly go over book content (maybe easy reading quizzes so we stay on track and earn more points in the class) to bridge the wide gap between Andi at 8:00 (doesn't that sound like the title of a radio show?) and Berko, Wolvin & Wolvin.

But Andi, you've taught me so much. I've virtually eliminated inarticulates from my presentations and to an extent, my daily language. I had to give a presentation recently in my BMGT class (Sophie was even in my group) and I realized how much easier presenting had become for me. I've generally just become a more aware speaker, choosing my words more carefully and avoiding the unfortunate fate of a certain Miss Teen USA. You've also really made me appreciate your teaching style. I've never had a professor as accessible as you are. I was able to ask you a ton of communication questions and you gave excellent advice. I was able to contact you about changing my exam time (hence the later post) and you responded so quickly. I'm so fortunate because my week would have been significantly more stressful if you hadn't responded.

Your modern style is also apparent in this blog. Others have already pointed out the deficiencies, but I would just like to say that upon retrospect, I am so so so glad you chose to use this instead of the traditional paper essay format. Not only are we saving a bunch of trees right now, but the formal style mandated by a printed essay seems so contrived, especially for a COMM class. I've read papers done by other students with other teachers and their responses seem so restricted. This blog has really allowed us to communicate freely.

I've learned a lot from this class. I can truly say I know how to speak better (although not everything in the book was crucial to my understanding... I don't need to know the term "paravocalics" in order to adjust my voice accordingly).

I can also truly say I will never take an 8AM again.


Sources:


No comments:

Post a Comment