Wednesday, September 8, 2010

Informative Brief Topic: The Change in Professional Tennis Courts


Tennis courts are slower today than they were at the beginning of the 21st century. Serve and volley players used to dominate tennis because the courts played at a high speed. But the courts changed. Players play from the baseline more often because it is harder to volley. The ball is slower, which gives players the chance to hit the ball harder and pass net players.


Tennis tour officials purposefully made the courts slower. They use rye grass seed at Wimbledon now. They use slow artificial material to design hard courts. And clay courts are naturally slow.


Why do the officials make the courts slower? How do the slow courts affect the players? And will the courts become even slower in the future?

5 comments:

  1. Looking forward to this speech! Rackets have gotten alot bigger in head size and speed, so maybe the courts are slowing down in response to that?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very unique! I know very little about tennis and had no idea about the change. Looking forward to learning more.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ah this is a very interesting topic. Its very similar to golf courses "Tiger Proofing" courses because players like Woods hit so far off the tee that they were making the courses too easy. As I sit and watch Rafa Nadal destroy Fernando Verdasco with powerful ground strokes you can see why they would start to slow courts down.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This sounds so interesting! I enjoy watching tennis, so I am looking forward to your presentation! And Taylor, I totally agree. After watching Nadal, there is definitely a reason they would want to do that!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Glad to hear others are keeping up with the U.S. Open! The slow courts play right in to Nadal's game. They give him so much more time to set up his shots, which players used to faster courts resent.

    ReplyDelete