To say that I didn't belong in your class is an understatement; unlike most of you, I have been drinking at real bars (read: not Turtle) legally for a year now, have no qualms about what my parents might find on my facebook, and I think most drastically, I've already discovered what I want to be doing with my life. I feel that Comm107, as an introductory course at the University, offers a lot to the new student: there are many aspects of communication highlighted that people have to consider when going through their lives, whether it be with career issues, or various types of relationships that the new students will encounter upon arrival in a new setting (friends, romances, roommates, professors). These topics are just common sense, though. I am not at all compelled to learn how to pitch myself, sell my ideas, and inform people with all the speech tools and intricacies we've covered in the class, because it's stuff I do everyday of my life. Thus, assignments with grandiose requirements that will hopefully get students to achieve their dreams, while ripe with potential for the young aspiring college undergrad, are wasted on someone whose perspectives have been worn and deflated after years of being faced with red tape, unmet expectations, and fruitless, temporal experiences. Everything in this class was approached with so much enthusiasm, energy, and a blue-sky whistle-while-you-send-a-facebook-message-with-so-much-ulterior-motive-that-you-fail-to-notice-he-knows-you're-not-friends-and-doesn't-even-answer-your-questions-about-his-life-but-instead-just-gives-you-a-new-lead-and-potential-for-profit attitude that I was just too jaded to swallow any of it. In fact, I've failed so many courses at the university level because of my difficulties in answering this very philosophical question: for what reason am I getting out of bed today?
That rant was more about me than it was about the, course, wasn't it? It exists because my busy semester has left me artistically choked and intellectually barren. Here's the primer on why this class could have been better:
-Cancelling class on facebook 15 minutes before our 8am lecture was not and will never be cool. I don't care whose fault it is, but do you think I'm really gonna get up before 6 to make a fruitless commute?
-The class blog is stupid. Blogging is for one person or a small group of people (that's why you had to individually add each of us to be an author account). Class forums are much more suited to what we were trying to achieve with the blog.
-More on the blog, all of the expectations and requirements for the class were left so haphazardly in various places around the world wide web that everything felt disheveled. What was the leadership post even?
-We should focus more heavily on public speaking practice. More impromptu speeches, more speech assignments and less blog posts. These help us practice what we're supposed to be learning.
There are great ways to incorporate technology in the classroom, and this certainly isn't the worst attempt I've seen, but it remains glaringly obvious that the format needs work, and only then will it enhance the experience in the classroom beyond what we could expect from a class without any technology whatsoever.
Some positives that I gathered from my experience with the class:
-Everyone was nice, which smoothed over our group project a whole bunch.
-Having video presentations and guest speakers spiced things up.
-Tom's incredibly cool life. Seriously dude, your music stuff is wicked, and you probably score mega chicks as the lead singer in a rock band. If you need a drummer who pays attention to detail and keeps time, find me.
-Tasha, I hope you rock the WNBA, becoming the poster girl for the popularization of women's basketball
-Mike, you're such a huge nerd, and wear it on your chest. Don't let anybody convince you that studying hard and taking an interest in your classes is not the coolest thing in the world, because really, the University would be a whole lot better if more people took your approach
-It's cool to talk about video games and alcohol in two of my speeches
Peace out, nerds! Queue epic failure
This is why I always tried to come to class, because I just love how matter-of-fact you are about everything. Its the kind of attitude that I think is lost with people who are just too nice these days. Not that being a dick is cool, and you're not being a dick, but its about just being honest and not being afraid of speaking your mind because it might offend someone. Thats what I think is great. If you have a drumset near campus, then we can/will be doing something together soon.
ReplyDeleteRight on, big boy! Screw people who hate on nerds, this country would be nothing without its nerds. Thanks for calling me out, in a good way. Good luck with life, and I'm sorry that this class was pointless for you - but it is very refreshing to see someone who is honest about their input and output from the class.
ReplyDeleteI loved your editorial at the end. It was really entertaining and insightful. I hope you find success whereever you may be after the end of this year.
ReplyDeleteSome off your comments were a little harsh but some of them are valid opinions. At least you're being honest in your post. Peace Mike
ReplyDeleteThis just comes off as really holier-than-thou; funny, but kind of unnecessarily uppity. I'm still not really sure what your actual point was?
ReplyDeleteThank you all for the feedback about my post.
ReplyDeleteI don't want to get too defensive, as I know this reflection was a bit stronger than what anyone might be expected to post, but Andi chose not to give us a rubric; it was merely a reflection, without tying itself to a specific end goal.
Your criticism that it comes off a high horse is very poignant, I didn't really know what to do about that as I was writing so I just said fuck it.
Oops, didn't mean to come off as a bitch, I didn't realize how my comment sounded. At 7:34 pm yesterday I think I'd been studying for something like 18 out of the past 24 hours and was pretty cranky. I agree with you on a lot of points and props on the candor.
ReplyDeleteI didn't think you came off as a bitch, I liked your comment, just as I appreciate all feedback. Candor is one thing I might be good at, but causing a buzz is something a bit more exciting. And of course, my brutal honesty means nothing if I can't take honest critical feedback. You pointed out an obvious weakness in my tone, and I accept that.
ReplyDeleteThat all being said, "but Mike, this is just some stupid blog post." Well, if you liked this post, click on my name and you'll find a lot more like it on my...drum roll... BLOG!! Yea, check it squeakyguy.blogspot.com