Friday, December 10, 2010

Final Class Reflection


I didn't even think I was going to be taking this class this semester. I just kind of fell into the class, after my advisor recommend I take it. I didn't need it for a degree requirement; at the time I was undecided and experimenting with different courses from various majors, ultimately hoping they would help make a final decision. Originally, this class was just a "filler" class, so I could remain a full time student at the university. However, I'm extremely pleased with my decision to take my advisors advice and register for the class because it helped me figure out some things about myself. It's now thanks to this class, I now feel comfortable declaring an a official major next semester; what is it you ask? Communications!

I mean don't get me wrong, this class wasn't my favorite class but it did provide a practical and realistic view of communications in the real world. Overall, I think that it accomplished the goal that it was set out to do; you know, teach us how to speak! Of course, there were times when the material became a little bland and staying awake and focused was a bit of a challenge; it didn't help the class was at 8 am! The little interesting tidbit's that Andi often threw in to the lectures, always helped make the topics in the book more applicable to real life.

I especially enjoyed the incorporation of technology and social media because they really are the "way" of the future in this industry. I think that learning how to use them now, will benefit people in any profession down the road. The fact that Andi stressed the importance of social media pretty much every class, should have given each of us the incentive to make use Twitter, Google, and LinkedIn. Over the course of the semester, I often heard my fellow classmates griping about the blog, but I never felt like it was a negative aspect of the class. I think most of the negativity was cause by the initial learning curve that is required to "blog". It takes a little bit of getting used to; you have to make sure your keeping up with your "commenting" and checking the blog for updates, etc. After, I got the hang out it though, I much preferred writing on the blog as opposed to writing full length papers for the course; as I know often occurs in other sections of COMM107.

Now for a little constructive criticism. This course could be a little inconvenient at times, and what I mean by that is, I often didn't know what I was supposed to be doing; if I did, I never knew how it should be done. I know things were layed out in the syllabus, but I felt like there were often "rogue" assignments that slipped under my radar. Often times, I'd only find out about them a day or two before they were due, from a fellow classmate. Though, the incorporation of the Facebook group, helped work out some of the communication kinks, that were like a plague on this class in the beginning;I'd defiantly recommend using this again next semester. My second complaint, grading. I don't usually complain about these kinds of things, but the grading in this class always seemed a little harsh. I often felt like points were taken off assignments for rather frivolous things; things like not having a "perfect" outline, could really make or break your grade on an assignment. It's nothing big, I just think that a little re- prioritizing the importance of some aspects of assignments is in oder. That's just my 2 cents, these are really the only aspects of the class I was disappointed with.

At a time, when I was feeling pressure from my parents, peers, and advisors to make a decision about my major, this class was sort of like a god-send. I'd always heard of people majoring in communications but I had no idea what that entailed; to be honest I'm still not 100% sure, but, the major has become a lot clearer to me after taking this course. I now feel confident in my ability to pursue a career in this field. Thanks for a great semester, Andi & Co.!

1 comment: