Tuesday, November 16, 2010

Where Did the Culture Go?


Globalization! It's the spread of culture, information, money, ideas across the globe like never before! All this sharing, however, does not come without some costs, and some of the costs do not outweigh the benefits. For instance, globalization plays a key role in the rich getting richer and the poor getting even poorer, and the gap is continuing to increase. Also, whole economies are crippled as money can be moved from country to country literally with a click of a button. Lastly, where did all the culture go? As popular (mostly Western) culture and fashion are making their way around the globe, age old traditions are disappearing without a trace. Globalization is not all that it's cut out to be, and the negative consequences can be pretty serious.

Just for the record, I actually really love the idea of globalization and believe in its benefits, but I thought it would be more fun to argue to other side--globalization is bad!

A source I'm looking into:
http://www.newformulation.org/1antiglobalization.htm

Picture courtesy of toonpool.

2 comments:

  1. I instantly thought of the movie/show Outsourced when I saw this post. I'm actually on the fence about globalization but I'm eager to see someone play devil's advocate. Good Luck!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Like the topic and appreciate you taking the other side :) Remember to make it relevant and very specific to your audience. The topic is broad but if you can make is resonate with our class, then your speech will win big points.

    ReplyDelete