Tuesday, November 9, 2010

We're All In This Together


When we began discussing the group project, I was apprehensive, since I did not want to be placed in a group where I would be the one doing all the work. I was also afraid that I would not know any of the people in the group. However, when the groups were assigned, I was pleasantly surprised: I lived on the same floor as one half of my group and easily made friends with the other half. Since most of us had similar majors in the field of business, it was easy to come to a conclusion about the topic of our presentation. Most of the forming was accomplished for us, since we were assigned into groups. The norming had already happened for three members of the group, me, Geoffrey, and Margaret since we all lived in the same floor. However, we quickly got to know each other. Most of the norming process happened in person, although we did learn a little about the other members of the group after creating a Facebook group for the purpose of discussing the project.

After we got to know each other and came to an agreement regarding the focus of our interviews and project, we proceeded to conforming, since there was little opportunity or ability to storm. There were no power struggles or tension since our attitudes were largely relaxed about the scope of the project. Conforming also did not occur as a discrete step, although we may have unconsciously done so, since we did have some disagreements while discussing what to do for the project, but soon accepted the idea that most related to communication issues.

Performing was both an individual and a group act. In order to complete the project, we had to conduct research. This part was largely completed on an individual basis. The interviewing process was also an individual achievement, since each person had to perform his or her own interview. However, the class presentation was the one aspect where we all collaborated to form a presentation. While the person most familiar with Prezi completed the technical aspects of the presentation, we each contributed to our share of the presentation with information we had gleaned from our research and interviews. We then presented the project to the class, the true “performing” of the project.

While adjourning is supposed to occur after the presentation of the project, we have not really adjourned, since we have still maintained contact with each other through the Facebook group, even though we have technically completed the project. We have continued to communicate with each other even over trivial issues, such as a dislike for the current format of comments on posts in groups.

Our group, in my opinion, was extremely effective and I thoroughly enjoyed working with my group. I feel that we were all similar on a level where we could easily work with each other, without much conflict. I think it definitely helped that three of the members, me, Margaret, and Geoffrey, already had an easy rapport. Since half of the group was already used to working with each other, it may have made it easier for the other members to “attach” onto this mini-group and move forward from there. Some of the problems associated with group work was unavoidable, since the work could not be completely equally distributed. However, I did not find this to be a problem, especially since everyone helped to complete the group project elements, like the blueprint and annotated bibliography. I felt that, as a group, we communicated better and worked better together than any other in which I have been.

A video (purely for entertainment)

THANKS A BUNCH GUYS :)

3 comments:

  1. Apart from the high school musical stuff, very professional and well done project,kudos.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sorry I couldn't be therefor your presentation! But I watched the video and was glad that you all contributed and collaborated well on the project and on the presentation

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your photo/title made me laugh, haha. It was awesome to work with you as a team member, Ana! I really enjoyed your leadership as well as your willingness to accept new ideas... and all of the new refreshing concepts you had to contribute. Looking forward to hopefully working with you more in the future! :)

    ReplyDelete