Monday, November 15, 2010

Persuasive Speech Topic


I was thinking that for my persuasive speech topic, I would discuss the dangers of our cultures' valuation and elevation of tolerance to our society's cardinal virtue. While there is nothing wrong with being tolerant and open minded, there is a danger of therefore looking down on those who hold that there are moral absolutes due to their religion or personal values. There is a obviously a very good reason that tolerance is regarded so highly in our society today, but I think that there is a danger of being so open minded that you are in fact close minded to those who do not have the same relativistic worldview, and I would like to draw attention to this fact and make people aware of this.

2 comments:

  1. I think this would be an interesting argument. I have personally faced those so "open-minded" that they refused to make solid opinions, and I agree that it is a problem that needs to be addressed in society.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very interesting angle and topic for debate, Emily!

    ReplyDelete