I can't say that I'm not happy to see celebrities, and others within this country, taking a vested interest in adoption. Being adopted myself, I'm a strong believer in the idea that 9 mos doesn't define the relationship between parent & child. My issue however is that there are thousands of children in the US Fostercare System—ranging from ages as young as infancy, up to the legal age of 18. For anyone who has seen Annie, you understand the unfair reality that older children aren't getting adopted; so once the adorableness and ease of infancy/toddlerhood has passed, many just get lost in the system.
Back to these celebrities and their adoption craze—instead of going out to countries like Indonesia, Ethiopia, etc, why not go right into your own backyard and help those that need the help most.
This may sound overly critical—yes, they are doing a great thing by providing better lives for those children... however I challenge them to instead adopt the village, because seriously, the money they make could easily fund a water filtration program, or provide loans for young entrepreneurs. Since I am restricted from making such judgments, I will instead use my persuasive speech to stress the importance of adoption within our own borders—sorry orphaned children of the rest of the world, but there are just far to many of us here that could use the love, and just aren't getting it.
-RobbS-
A very strong opinion. Looking forward to the speech! Since it is a general interest topic, make sure you make it relevant to the class in terms of our support for these celebrities who champion adoption of children from foreign countries in need.
ReplyDeleteI really like this topic, Robb! It's interesting how you've taken something we all view as charitable, and put the focus on something we should be doing instead. Your personal story also adds a really interesting touch. I'm looking forward to hearing it!
ReplyDeleteI am really looking forward to this speech! Like Quinn, I find it interesting that something that a person would see as charitable and good, could also be detrimental to others.
ReplyDeleteLove the topic - I think that some of us get so caught up in how "good" adoption looks on paper but don't really stop to think about what happens to adopted kids beyond just the act itself.
ReplyDelete