Like Michael, I got #11 incorrect and in fact, I chose the same wrong answer as he did for the same wrong reasons. When I got my test back I was definitely puzzled because I also confused myself after reading the textbook. I understand why I chose answer B: exchanging information about childhood is indisputably background information, so I thought it fell into the “initiation phase.” But learning that it’s part of the “experimenting phase” makes complete sense because you would only exchange information about where you grow up after you introduce yourself.
For example, Quasimodo would need to first say hello and his name before talking about how he enjoys ringing the bell towers or else his blind date would just get even weirder:
The "experimenting phase" is the phase of the relationship where you exchange simple information, like where you are from or what your job is to find similarities. You wouldn't exchange personal philosophies or politics, you're just trying to get an understanding of the other person to determine if you have enough in common to build a meaningful relationship. Therefore, it's important that you are clear or you'll give a completely incorrect impression of yourself:
by Mark Parisi
This exercise has really enabled me to understand the relationship phases a lot more clearly. Thanks for this opportunity, Andi!

Excellent blog post. Mostly because you reference my post. Jk :)
ReplyDeleteLoved the first comic strip :)
ReplyDelete