
Jenny Rogers works for TBD. I met her when she interviewed me on campus the day after the Thirsty Turtle stabbing. She gave me her business card before she left. I used her contact information on that card to set-up our interview.
I interviewed Jenny aboout the process she goes through when she interviews people, and she gave me laid-back answers that made interviewing sound like a laid-back process.
First, she told me that when she selects potential interviewees in the field, the process is "completely arbitrary." She just randomly picks-out people without considering race or gender, to ensure a diverse assortment of interviews. Picking the interviewees is not an issue. Even when she pre-plans an interview, she does little research. She prefers to make a phone call to quickly set the interview up, and then finds out background information on the interviewee during the interview.
The issue is the actual interview. Jenny's advice is still laid-back, though. Keep the interview light-hearted. Make jokes, be self-deprecating, and make small talk with the interviewee. Make the atmosphere comfortable and relaxed.
And be courteous. Even if the interviewee is offensive, remain polite. Just "nod and smile," let the offensive remarks slide, and maybe make a tounge-in-cheek comment back at the interviewee. Just do not take the comments personally.
I listened to Jenny's advice to get tips on how to continue my interview with her, but I did not need to use any of the advice on dealing with a troublesome interviewee. She's a sweet woman, and welcoming. She gave me a tour around the TBD news station, even though I did not ask her to do so. And she was also a little nervous, which I liked. That took pressure off of me and made me less nervous. She looked to the sides sometimes and did not always make eye contact, and showed we were on the same level.
Jenny carried that attitude over to her advice. Do not get uncomfortable during an interview. If the interviewee is unfriendly and does not want to be interviewd, forgert that person. Find someone else who is cooperative.
Jenny's advice kept going back to being friendly and relaxed, and only interviewing people you can be friendly and relaxed with. There are stories where she has to interview uncooperative people, but she will not interview those people when she has a choice.
Her advice for closing an interview was to cut off any further questions by thanking the interviewee for the interview, and giving the person contact information. And I was able to use this advice. After Jenny gave me the last answer I had time for, I thanked her, she walked me out and showed me a place to eat, and I left. I left reassured knowing it is alright to be as nervous as the person I am interviewing.
This is great, Darren. I enjoyed reading how you simultaneously were interviewing and re-learning interview skills in order to adjust the interview that was taking place at that moment -- if that makes sense.
ReplyDeleteA well-written reflection. Don't forget hyperlinks!