Wednesday, September 15, 2010

Meet Lisa Rowan: Our first COMM107 guest speaker!

I wanted to introduce you to Lisa Rowan, before you actually meet her in class this Friday. Feel free to click around this post and the Web to learn even more about TBD.com and Lisa's background. See you all Friday!

Lisa Rowan is a community host for TBD.com. She has a background in print journalism although she took a grand total of one journalism class, during junior year at UMD. Lisa is part spokesperson, part event planner, and part reporter for TBD, the web-and-TV local news operation that relies on the help of the community and a network of bloggers.

In her spare time, Lisa just started a Master's of Liberal Studies program at Georgetown University where she plans to focus on American Studies. She blogs part-time at http://www.quarterlife202.com/ , a thrifty fashion blog.

4 comments:

  1. Thanks for having Lisa in class today. She was an illuminating speaker and a funny, cool person in general. I learned a lot from somebody in the field and can't wait to hear more of our guest speakers.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for coming into class today, Lisa! It was good to have someone there to talk to us with Prof stuck in traffic.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This guest speaker was really cool. I was confused as to exactly what tbd was at first but now I have it as a bookmark on my computer. It seems like a very interesting idea and it takes some of the agendas and hidden messages away from the news. It's like getting the news from a real person as opposed to just a seemingly perfect, flawless news broadcaster. I love reading blogs for all of my interests and reading the news through blogs is an entirely different experience.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm glad you all enjoyed having Lisa in class! I was pretty stressed when I was stuck in traffic and hadn't thought to get Lisa's phone number in advance in case of any emergency. Fortunately, she and I are connected in a number of ways and she was able to trace my phone number in order to call to get the class started. A perfect example of how technology connects people and facilitates communications in emergency situations :)

    Major, I'm glad to hear following TBD.com. It's a great website and it certainly reflects how internet services have evolved in order to help us deal with the massive amounts of information that exist out there and are published on a real-time basis.

    Thanks for the comments!

    ReplyDelete