Sunday, September 5, 2010

Info Brief Topic: The Iraq War is Over? Who Knew? A Brief History


For seven years, America waged a costly and, at times, misinformed war against terrorist insurgencies in Iraq. I plan to address a very brief, factual account of Operation Iraqi Freedom to help my classmates and myself better understand the reasons why we:

  1. invaded,
  2. stayed in, and
  3. left Iraq.

I chose this topic because I feel that many young people are unsure of the real motivations behind our country’s wartime decisions, or have had their opinions skewed by the media. There is a wealth of information, and I plan to present the best of it.

Picture from Wikipedia.

Planned sources for speech: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cpP7b2lUxVE&feature=related (icebreaker)

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2010/08/29/AR2010082903891.html

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/americas/4849744.stm

4 comments:

  1. Wow, what a great post! You've fulfilled all of the requirements!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Michael, this is a great topic but it walks a very fine line into a persuasive argument, so make sure you keep to the facts -- though I would agree that in this situation, the facts are few while opinions are many. We'll take a look at your outline together to make sure you deliver an informative brief and not a persuasive speech.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very true. Look forward to assessing my outline with you tomorrow.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great job today Mike! I thought yours was the epitome of an informative speech--you did a great job at suspending your opinions (as difficult as that can be), and you definitely informed me. I try to keep up with facts about the war, but I didn't know about things like Bush's map of the oil deposits and his plan to invade since 2001. Yay information!

    ReplyDelete