Realizing that this is the very last post for our COMM107 class, I don't know where to begin. I admit that I could not make it to every single class. I tried my best to leave my house an hour early to make the commute. Sometimes I overslept, but other times there is just too much traffic on the way to campus. There are times where I'm 15 minutes late but since someone is presenting, I would rather wait (which then makes me look like I'm terribly late). But I did try my best. Enough about tardiness, back to the class.
I've always hated public speaking, but this class did require me to make 2 formal presentations; informative brief and the persuasive speech. As much as I didn't like standing in front of the class by myself carrying a speech for 6 to 8 minutes, it was definitely good practice for me. I knew my speeches, but my nervousness would lead me to continuously look at my note cards. Having to present in class allows me to discover what I need to work on.
Like in any class there are always positive and negative feedback on what worked and what did not.
The Positive:
I've always hated public speaking, but this class did require me to make 2 formal presentations; informative brief and the persuasive speech. As much as I didn't like standing in front of the class by myself carrying a speech for 6 to 8 minutes, it was definitely good practice for me. I knew my speeches, but my nervousness would lead me to continuously look at my note cards. Having to present in class allows me to discover what I need to work on.
Like in any class there are always positive and negative feedback on what worked and what did not.
The Positive:
- Facebook group: allowed easy access to our class, can communicate with group members and Andi quickly, feeling of everyone keeping in touch.
- Guest speakers: professionals talking to us, allowed me to see a different point of view of communication and how I can make use of it.
- Andi's use of modern technology: I feel like I cannot connect with majority of my professors but seeing that Andi has access to Facebook, Twitter, and this blog definitely made me feel like Andi's "normal" like the rest of us. =]
- Interactive activities: earlier during the semester Andi had cue words that she looked for when we began our class discussions (ex. situation - related it to The Situation in Jersey Shore). I enjoyed those a lot, and helped me engage easier into an 8am class.
The Negative:
- Blog: I liked and hated this blog. I prefered posting on the blog rather than writing papers, but it is so easy to miss something on the blog. There are times where Andi would post an assignment due over the weekend, but when I sign into the blog the assignment would be part of the older posts. I would miss the post and eventually miss the assignment.
- Communication: since this is a communication class, I expected a lot more explanation and discussions about our assignments. Especially the group project, I felt like we were just told to do it and did not get a lot of clarifications (I also know that it was when Andi had surgery, so I understand).
- Feedback of grades: I dislike that our grades are only posted on a link through our blog, we never had a chance to talk about our grades and why they were what we got.
- Cancellation of classes: it sucked to wake up an hour early to leave my house, commute to campus and find out that class was cancelled (keep in mind this is 8am in the morning) -.-
All things aside, Andi is a great person. She was down to earth, understanding, relatable, and had a good sense of humor. If I didn't like Andi as a professor, I would have switched to a different COMM107 from the beginning. I liked the fact that I could think of her as one of us and that we can easily talk to her. Even though this class did not provide everything I expected, I do not regret taking the class.
Good luck with finals everyone! =]
This might be my favorite post, just because that puppy is so adorable.
ReplyDeleteI really love your picture!
ReplyDeleteOh my god...that picture <3
ReplyDeleteWell, here's props to a fellow commuter who would often meet me outside the door to wait for a presenter to finish.
ReplyDeleteDarren, Grace, Margaret: I love the picture too =]
ReplyDeleteMike: haha yes, and insist for you to wait with me!