It has become evident that in todays society higher education is something of a necessity if one wishes to do well in life, with the few exceptions of Bill Gates, Mark Zuckerburg, and a few others. But as for us mortals, we need to go through countless, useless classes that sometimes don't even have anything with what we want to or ever will do with our lives. So where do we go? For most the answer is a University, but if we really take a look at the University system we find that is is terribly inefficient. The professors are usually unmotivated but teaching and focus on whatever research they are doing with their grants, I for one had a professor who flat out called me stupid when I went to his hours and he didn't explain the question I had in a way I could understand. And even if professors wish to truly relay information on the subject they are teaching the classes are usually too big to make any connection with their student and create a collaborative environment needed to truly learn.
Tuesday, November 16, 2010
School Sucks... At Teaching
It has become evident that in todays society higher education is something of a necessity if one wishes to do well in life, with the few exceptions of Bill Gates, Mark Zuckerburg, and a few others. But as for us mortals, we need to go through countless, useless classes that sometimes don't even have anything with what we want to or ever will do with our lives. So where do we go? For most the answer is a University, but if we really take a look at the University system we find that is is terribly inefficient. The professors are usually unmotivated but teaching and focus on whatever research they are doing with their grants, I for one had a professor who flat out called me stupid when I went to his hours and he didn't explain the question I had in a way I could understand. And even if professors wish to truly relay information on the subject they are teaching the classes are usually too big to make any connection with their student and create a collaborative environment needed to truly learn.
Labels:
persuasive speech
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
A professor called you stupid? That's shameful. I think I'm already persuaded.
ReplyDeleteFor obvious reasons, I'm really looking forward to your speech.
ReplyDeleteAlso, unacceptable that a professor would call you that. But if it's any consolation, he or she probably is really frustrated with the fact that he or she has to do ridiculous amounts of research that is outdated the second it gets published (if it gets published) because publications are slow on the uptake and industries evolve at a much faster pace these days. Hew or she is probably vying for tenure too, and when he or she gets it, it probably still won't mean that they'd be making a good salary. ultimately, he or she is probably upset with his or her institution because when all they wanted to do is teach students and further their field through scholarly research... now they have to deal with all the bureaucracy and other crap that gets in the way of them doing what they love.