Monday, November 15, 2010

Persuasive Speech Topic: The Final Frontier


"I believe America should look to its future – and consider what that future will look like if we choose not to be a spacefaring nation."
NASA Administrator Michael Griffin

It has been over 40 years since man walked on the moon for the first time. Why aren't we living like the Jetsons yet? There are many reasons, but mostly, space exploration has stagnated because the NASA (and space in general) budget is unbelievably low—usually pegged at 0.7% of every U.S. tax dollar. In 6-8 minutes, I'll convince you to ask your politicians to allocate more funding for space exploration, or perhaps donate some of your own money. Space exploration will help humanity:
  • Economically
  • Philanthropically
  • Militarily
  • And in many other ways!
Really. The impact that further space exploration will have on improving global quality of life is limited only by our own imaginations. Let's be another Greatest Generation.

"The dinosaurs became extinct because they didn't have a space program. And if we become extinct because we don't have a space program, it'll serve us right!"
—Science Fiction Writer Larry Niven

Further Reading:
-http://www.airspacemag.com/space-exploration/Uncommentary.html
-http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/1359562/Colonies-in-space-may-be-only-hope-says-Hawking.html
-http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EewrC22ysus
-http://www.pollingreport.com/science.htm
-http://www.springerlink.com/content/mx377r26428538p8/

-Picture: http://a52.g.akamaitech.net/f/52/827/1d/www.space.com/images/030624_ncc1701_04.jpg

7 comments:

  1. I'm excited to hear your speech, Mike! I know absolutely nothing about space exploration or its funding, but it sounds pretty nifty. Visual Aid: You in a space suit?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I watch Neil DeGrasse Tyson on TED and other platforms all the time. I think this is one of the most important issues facing our civilization today.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Fantastic topic! Some of the people I work with are doing digital media projects with NASA to drive support to the organization, which would in turn increase awareness and ramp up funding. Looking forward to your speech!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you both! I look forward to convincing you all!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Mike, great speech, you really convinced of the fact that more money should be allocated to the space program. To be honest, I didn't know much about NASAs funding, but it seems to me that they do enough to warrant more. Great Job.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks so much! I'm glad that I was able to help you guys better understand our bright future in space exploration!

    ReplyDelete