
I, like George Washington, cannot tell a lie. As a senior business major, I was not terribly thrilled at working with all freshmen. I was wrong to assume though because I quickly found that age plays no role in getting [stuff] done. We were cohesive pretty much from the beginning and that glue continues to hold us together.
No one person took on a leadership role because with the use of Facebook Groups it was somewhat unnecessary to have a single person direct the group. Being a senior, I have had the pleasure/pain of participating in a myriad of groups. As a result, I noticed the huge role Facebook played in establishing our group dynamic. Because of this real-time forum, we were all leaders at any point in the project by posting ideas and opinions, allowing us to partake in a fast-paced transactional model of communication. Since we established our comfort levels early on and felt comfortable speaking up, groupthink was never a problem for us (The ability to tell someone that their idea sucks without looking them in the eye helped too though.)
The phase of forming our group was easy enough: Andi grouped us according to our general majors and we formed the basis of our group and ideas from that point. Our personal goals and networks played a large role in determining the direction our group would proceed towards. For example, I am interested in entrepreneurship and have had the opportunity to connect with many different entrepreneurs. This directly contributed to my role and input in the group.
Storming was an ongoing activity in my group as was conforming since we had to brainstorm ideas and agree on basic concepts as we proceeded and progressed through the project.
Performing first began as an individual activity since we divvyed up the final work between the six of us. As we approached the presentation date we began to perform together bringing together our ideas and contributions to create our masterpiece (and what a masterpiece it was…).
We have adjourned I supposed in terms of this project since we delivered our final product however we have not split up the group as such and will probably continue to support each other until the end of the class.
Since the inception of the project we discussed several different aspects of college and life – not just the project itself. I sincerely believe this improved and contributed to the quality of our work and performance. I myself was responsible for creating the Prezi among other things and this task was infinitely easier because I had a better idea of my group members’ methodology.
This is one of the last groups I will participate in during college and I would like to thank my group members for their support and excellent humor. I am glad I had the chance to meet and know them and hope my lovely little snowflakes create an awesome avalanche in all their classes/groups!
Haha, internet gangster. Will keep that in mind in the future.
ReplyDelete