Sunday, November 28, 2010

Midterm Correction


Like Michael and Rachel, I also got question #11 incorrect for the same reasons. Since there are already two posts on it, I'll focus on question #23.
The question was "Someone who is concerned about meeting their own needs as well as the needs of others is managing their conflict through ______."
A. Accomodation B. Compromise C. Avoidance D. Integration

I chose A. Accomodation, I knew it couldn' t be C. Avoidance or D. Integration so those were already eliminated. I knew it had to either be A. Accomodation or B. Compromise, and yet I chose the wrong answer; the correct answer is B. Compromise.
Accomodation is a non-assertive act in which one side might not want to agree with the other, but is "kind of okay" with it; seen as "smoothing over." For example, I want to go shopping while my male friend wants to watch a movie. My male friend would agree to go shopping with me because he is "kind of okay" with it.

Compromise could be both an assertive or non-assertive act in which both sides reach a common ground; both sides would agree with the decision. Using the example above, a compromise would be we will go shopping first then watch a movie afterwards. Both sides would be happy with the results because it meets the wants of each person.


Image courtesy of: Frontline




No comments:

Post a Comment