Monday, November 8, 2010

Best Group Ever!


Coming into the group project I was nervous about how our group would interact and how well we would perform together. In high school, group projects usually consisted of only a few group participants who would actually participate. Now that the project is over, I can gladly say that the group definitely exceeded my expectations.

The stage of group norming started when we were put into groups .We all had the same major, which was journalism. We quickly decided that interviewing would be our communication issue because interviewing is so closely connected and intertwined with journalism. After picking our topic, we decided that we would decide when to meet as a group through messaging on Facebook. Facebook was our number one source of communication. Through messages we were able to ask questions, set up meetings, and send sources.

Our first meeting was in Hornbake Library. There we decided what points of interviewing we wanted to include into our presentation. We also gave out a few job assignments. My job was multimedia coordinator. I was in charge of creating the PowerPoint (which included finding a video to watch and being in charge of it during the presentation.) During this first meeting, the group members who had already conducted interviews were able to share important information with those who hadn’t done so, so they could ask specific questions to the interviewees for answers we needed. We also searched online for other sources and narrowed them down to the ones that helped us the most. We also made Mike our leader because he was the most organized.

Our second meeting was held in McKeldon Library. This was where we actually began to create the PowerPoint. Mike created a Google Doc as a place for us to contain our interview notes. This was really helpful because everyone could log on and edit information. This is also where our “storming” started. We joked around a lot with each, especially towards Jace. There wasn’t really arguing over the idea or concept of the presentation.

Our last meeting was held in McKeldon Library as well. On this last meeting, we finished adding all the notes from our interview, correcting the PowerPoint, and finally practicing our presentation. We were able to conform by working through any disagreements we had.

I think our presentation went really well. We all spoke fluently about our points and I believe we got our point across. Unfortunately after our presentation, our group had to sadly adjourn. I really liked my group because we were open-minded and listened to all of our ideas. Even though we joked around a lot, we were successfully able to get the project completed.

Overall, I would say this is the best group project I’ve ever completed and the best group I’ve ever worked with. There were no attitudes, arguing, or anything else that would have led to conflict. We all used our journalistic skills of decision-making and listening really showed in the way we were able to work together. Through cooperation, we were able to easily finish the project without any trouble.

http://www.bing.com/images/search?q=group+project&go=&form=QBIL&qs=n&sk=&sc=8-12#focal=ecec9c8b6b543ba55fbfc0942eed7a17&furl=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.portfolio.rimestimes.net%2Fimages%2Fgroup_project.jpg

3 comments:

  1. Emphasis on the joking around a lot. Really, good job though. We couldn't have done it without your cheesy intro.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great Post. After reading this post, I can tell you guys really worked hard to put a presentation together that was well put together and entertaining. You very much succeeded.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I loved our group too! You were a great multimedia director...those YouTube videos were a great touch, and I'm sure everybody at Hornbake really loved us...

    ReplyDelete