Tuesday, September 7, 2010

Info Brief Topic: Concussions in Football


Football has long been one of America's favorite games to watch and play. People enjoy the big plays and the big hits. The game is celebrated for the carnage.

But football as we know and love it is in danger. More and more, concussions are impacting the way the game is played.

Concussions have long been an ignored issue by the football establishment. When players were knocked unconscious, they were expected to be back in the lineup the next week, no questions asked. Great players careers have been cut terribly short due to concussions, and many ex-players are suffering through the repercussions of a career on the gridiron.

So what can be done about it? New ideas, theories, and technologies have been presented on concussions. I will be discussing the issue of concussions and some of the things that can be done about it.

4 comments:

  1. This a very interesting topic that has been getting much more press over the last 5 years as older, retired NFL players start to show the effects the head injuries that they accumulated during their playing careers. It is clear that this is a problem the NFL must address soon, otherwise players will continue to get hurt and not be sustainable when they are finished playing. I am very interested to hear more information about this topic.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Like Taylor said, this topic has been getting a lot of press recently. I played football in high school, and I can attest to circumstances where players will try to play through concussions and other serious injuries when they should clearly sit out because they are worried about slipping down in the depth chart. I feel that the whole attitude about concussions needs to change, especially from a player's standpoint so that young people do not jeopardize their health as a result of seeing their role models do the same thing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Jace, this is a great topic and clearly something that the class already follows and is interested in hearing more about.

    Make sure that your informative brief covers the effects, prevention, and treatment methods for concussions. Later in the semester, I would certainly invite you to build upon your informative brief and talk about issues related to our perception (and misconceptions) of sports role models and suffering sports injuries for your *persuasive* speech.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Jace, I thought you might find this entertaining:

    From The Onion: Report: 3 Players In NFL Currently Do Not Have Concussions

    http://www.theonion.com/articles/report-3-players-in-nfl-currently-do-not-have-conc,18272/

    ReplyDelete