Tuesday, September 7, 2010

Info Brief Topic: All About Norway!


Norway is one of those countries that no one knows about, but should.Usually, If someone has heard of Norway it's because they are one of only two countries, the other being Japan, that still permits whaling. That or it's the place where Vikings lived. While both are true, there is a lot more to this little gem of a country.

I suppose it's not hard to miss on a map, with it's total square mileage roughly that of the New Mexico and a population of only 4.8 million. However, despite it's limited size, Norway is quite literally heaven on earth. From it's picturesque scenery; the Fjord's, an extensive coastline and beautiful mountain valley's, to it's rich and warm culture, Norway is a truly unique place.

Norway is also known for being one of the most progressive countries in the world. With it's radical social policy's and welfare system, Norway is consistently found on top of UNDP( United Nation's Development Program) Human Development Index. Note that in 2009, the USA was only ranked #13 on that list. The Norwegian economy is also one of the strongest economies in the world. It's main export is oil and is third to only Russia and Sandia Arabia in gas exporting worldwide.

It seems the only real con to Norway is that it's cold, really, really, cold. But if you like long winters and short summers then Norway is an ideal location.

There is a lot more to learn about Norway. Some common questions that I hope to answer in my speech, include but are not limited too; Why is Norway known as the land of the "Midnight Sun", exactly how cold is Norway?, and what the heck is a viking and why should I care? Hopefully, you knew the answer to that last one, but if not, you will soon enough!

7 comments:

  1. I've always wondered (not just about Norway but of the other Nordic countries as well) what their general stance on the World Wars were. You never hear much about Norway, they seem like Switzerland - completely neutral.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh I'll defiantly talk about what happened to Norway in WWII. Norway isn't really neutral either, it's just that they don't stick their head were they don't belong.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yeah, Norway and Sweden are awesome countries--way better than the US in a lot of ways. But at the same time... They don't speak American!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I visited my cousin, who lives in Oslo, in the summer of 2008. Norway was nothing like the rest of Europe -- there was sense of order and structure that truly struck me. Looking forward to your speech. Make sure you narrow your main points down to something manageable :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. If there is one place I want to visit in my life after your info brief, it is Norway!!! Can I bring my viking helmet? Really, it seems like a fascinating place, with trolls, fjords, and boats shaped like dragons.

    ReplyDelete
  6. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  7. amazing.. http://news.yahoo.com/s/afp/20101104/hl_afp/unhealthsocial_20101104145621

    ReplyDelete