Friday, September 17, 2010

The Three C's of Communication

Personally Impressed
Apart from being very informative regarding TBD.com and its main functions, Ms. Rowan gave the class several practical points of advice to help us master this multi-faceted, confusing world of communications. Specifically regarding TBD.com, I was personally surprised that such a small geographical area, Prince Georges County and the University of Maryland campus, could have such an active group of subscribers and contributors. In my opinion, the success of this website stems in part due to this core group of participants. The reporters and spokespeople, like Ms. Lisa Rowan, do a great job of keeping the site and the news stories up to date. They are also flexible in their forms of communication, utilizing both the internet and television. Back to the points Ms. Rowan brought up; I believe there were three that you really cannot miss out on.

The Three C's:
  1. Confidence: You do not have to be the most presentable looking person in the room. Circumstances do not always play to your advantage, yet we must make the best of it. What is important is to feel confident and for the right reason; because you are well versed with the information you are trying to convey.
  2. Credibility: In this day and age, because of the immense volume of bloggers out there and different sources of the same information, one must make sure that what you are saying is unique through research . That is how you make your name and gain the trust of your followers.
  3. Conciseness: Brevity is extremely important. Studies have showed that people just want the meat of news stories and stories and being made more and more concise. You must convey your point clearly but also concisely.

P.S.- Check out their site if you have not already, its actually really easy to navigate and pretty well designed. It has a really nice modern webpage look to it.

  • Web page: TBD.com - Washington DC, Maryland & Northern Virginia News. Web. 17 Sept. 2010.

Blog Post by Ms.Rowan:
  • http://www.tbd.com/blogs/tbd-arts/2010/09/fashion-s-night-out-in-georgetown-lisa-rowan-reports-1637.html

  • Also, special thanks to the gentleman that helped us learn how to dress properly. It was pretty helpful for a business major like me.

5 comments:

  1. I agree with your point about the "Three Cs of communication." When so much information is so readily accessible, it is very easy to check the credibility of a statement and when one speaks, it is important to make sure one's facts are correct to maintain some level of respectability. The points about confidence and conciseness are also very imprtant, since listeners will not believe information from uncertain speakers and it is not easy to remain focused on long-winded speakers.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I almost forgot about the dress code presentation until I saw your post. I definitely learned a lot from it. I didn`t know that socks were that important in an interview (for guys). I also didn`t know that colors play such a big role for an interview presentation.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great post, Mark! You presented your thoughts on Lisa's information in a way that she would approve of.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great post Mark! Even though you were as concise as you reflected Lisa said communications should be in order to engage their audience and convey information, you did a fantastic job structuring your post so that we would be able to navigate through it.

    For future reference, please include your links to sources and references as HYPERlinks, embedded within your post rather than listed as an endnote. This is standard for web content and I'd love to see you all master the skill of creating content online.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This was a really well-written post that I enjoyed reading. I particularly like the first C: "Confidence." I agree that we should always try to make the best of our circumstances and to have confidence in the information you are presenting.

    ReplyDelete