Hi class, I just received an email from the Communication Department Media Center. Good news!!! ... you can now email commmediacenter@gmail.com or call 301-405-3137 to make an appointment to practice your informative briefs and persuasive speeches later in the semester.The Media Center is open from 9am - 5pm, five days a week (with a few exceptions).
On an important side note...
While I do not take attendance I do look around class, and when I see a significant number of chairs empty I feel a lack of respect -- not necessarily towards me, but towards your classmates who have worked hard to prepare their speeches and share them with YOU, in class. Many of you have commented on your classmates' informative brief topic blog posts, so I naturally expected you to be in class to listen to the speeches you contributed comments to and said you were "looking forward to hearing." Let's work on this. Please show your classmates the same kind of respect you would like them to show you.
To those who came to class, thank you!
Good post! I look forward to hearing your presentations in class--oh wait... I agree that it sucks for the presenters to have empty seats. I wouldn't want someone to miss out on the insightful knowledge that I have to impart on them, and it's no fun for anyone! Question: Do our outlines need to have full sentences for every part? Including sub-points and such?
ReplyDeleteHi Michael, thanks for co-signing. And yes, outlines do need full sentences but one or two should do the trick -- this is so that I can see the your points written out and developed, not just jotted down as ideas. The sample outline I provided should give you a better idea. You can find it under assignments, informative briefs, and it's called "Informative Brief Outline Overview."
ReplyDeleteSee you tomorrow, apologies for the late comment!
Just wanted to say that the Media Center is really really helpful for practicing your speech. I stood there and a center aid took notes and gave me great feedback at the end. He even offered to give me a DVD of myself so I could see what I was doing. It made me feel much for ready for my presentation and it's extra credit- there is no way you shouldn't!
ReplyDelete*more more ready
ReplyDeleteProf Narvaez, I've been recording myself giving the speech and watching it back on my Mac. I've got it down to 4:52, and I'm really excited to give my speech on Wednesday!
ReplyDeleteI must say, it can be very tempting to skip any 8 a.m. class. But I'm really glad that I've sucked it up, gotten up early seen all the speeches so far--they have been really interesting and there have been none that I wish I missed. Looking forward to hearing some more this week!
ReplyDeleteYeah I have seen all the speeches as well, and I have been very entertained. I almost skipped last Friday, cause well its Friday. But I really wanted to see the speeches and I was I came away more informed about some very interesting topics.
ReplyDeleteI'm glad you all came out for your classmates' speeches. I agree that they were all interesting takes on a number of topics.
ReplyDeleteI also think that these speeches provide us with insight about your peers -- their interests and unique perspectives on certain things.
The more we learn about each other and help the class become a well-rounded, collaborative environment, the better our learning experiences will be.